Monday, 9 December 2013

Best Holiday Dangers For Pets

Holidays can create special dangers for that pets. Each year during the various holiday seasons, a lot of pets are seriously injured and/or become deathly ill. It’s an energetic time a time of much planning, shopping, cooking and baking, rushing both to and from parties and get-togethers with friends. Oftentimes we ignore our little four-legged family members during the rush and festivities. They're curious and anxious after we, their caretakers are and there are lots of hazards awaiting their curiosity.

During the holiday season the house fills while using warm scent of baking; shiny, glittering decorations; and wrapped and ribboned gifts sure to tempt the curiosity of all pets, especially cats and dogs. After we deck the halls and victimize treats it’s important to be aware of potential dangers for the pet. Here are some safety suggestions to help your pet enjoy the holidays.


Chocolate toxicity can occur within 24 hours and the effects can be very serious. The darker the chocolate, the larger the amount in relation to body weight, the higher harmful. The caffeine and theobromine in chocolate could cause a dog to vomit, have diarrhea, and experience rapid heartbeat, increased urination, muscle tremors, and seizures. We’ve heard many a merchant account of dogs unwrapping boxes of chocolate left beneath the tree, so if you suspect a gift box to contain chocolate.

Wrapping paper 

Dogs, especially puppies, can and definitely will eat anything. Just ask the great people in the pet insurance companies: a stomach full of rocks? Yep. Several pairs of pantyhose? Check. And individuals aren’t even the oddest inedibles consumed by our darling dogs. So ensure you pick up wrapping paper once the gifts are open to prevent Fido from making short work of all the ribbon and tissue.

Rich fats 

Rich holiday foods could cause stomach problems (who wants to wake up with a present” from the dog?) and pancreatitis. The classic problem? Your pet gets into the ham, turkey, or, a whole lot worse, the Christmas goose, gorges on it, and then gets very sick. Warning signs of pancreatitis include vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain.


Small turkey and ham bones can lodge inside the throat, stomach and digestive tract requiring surgery to remove. Also, the fats and gravies which you may add to your pets' food can cause diarrhea and vomiting.


Lighted candles won't be left unattended and that is a lot more important if left at kitty’s eye level or within puppy’s chewing zone. An exuberant tail or even a swat of a paw can turn candles and hot wax into an instantaneous disaster. Anchor candles securely and from curious faces and feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment